The Ogden Family

Reflections on life and family history

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More Precious than Gold



It has been a few weeks since I promised the update on the hit series "Murder in Zion". It's coming along fine (if you happen to be worried) but I have been slowed somewhat by life. Take heart, those of you that wait patiently, my batteries are charging and the final touches are coming together in a way that will startle you. You can't rush creativity, but I sense something being posted this weekend.

I have a truly wonderful wife. She balances me in so many ways and I can't say enough good things about her. And talk about patience! We celebrated our 30 year anniversary last week and I love her more now than ever before. I can't wait until we celebrate our 60th!! (well...yes I can). She surprised me by buying me a plane ticket to Utah for a bit of R and R doing whatever I want. That was a notable act of unselfishness! I spent most of the time with my brother Patrick working on scanning slides and researching. He teaches me many things from simple keyboard shortcuts to patience with life. He also helped provide me (somewhat unwittingly) with material for my Stake Conference talk the following week. I can't wait for him to visit us in Chico someday.

The highlight of the trip was finding a journal of my Great grandfather Nephi Anderson. I have only seen 2 or three pictures of him in my life, so to actually see his handwriting and read his notes was an indescribable feeling. There are forty or so pages of notes, chronicling facts, figures, dates, and other stuff that a man of his situation would record. Nothing that I can see about his particular views, opinions, or (heaven forbid) feelings. But it is his record and I am delighted to have something from his hand.

The journal came to me through a new found "relative", Bruce Cowley of Orem, Utah. Bruce is married to my mother's cousin Karen (daughter of William "K" Anderson) and they have been great to provide information and insight that was completely new to me. Thank you Bruce and Karen.

Here is a picture of the six sons of Nephi and Violet Anderson. My grandfather is Floyd in the upper left hand corner. I was puzzled about why I knew so little about the other five families until I realized the social dynamic that was at work. These are men of Scandinavian descent who were raised on a farm and learned early how to work hard. Do any of these guys look like social butterflies?? My guess is that were all similar to my own grandfather who was restrained in his comments and social "chit chat" was an unknown trait. Yep, nope, and "recon' so", were vocab mainstays. When they reached adulthood they each went their ways and lived their lives. This picture was taken on one of the few occasions they got together for a family event. Probably if they had been blessed with a few sisters in the group it may have helped bind the generations with more closeness. I want to better connect with these families and fill some gaps in history with pictures and stories that the record may be more complete. Any help from anyone would be most appreciated.

But do not think that there was not an abundance of love. Here is some proof:

Does Uncle Tim love his nephew? Without a doubt! But why is he carrying all that rope and why is Grandma Leda watching him so very closely???

Additional information: When my father was stationed in Okinawa during the post Korean war era, my mother went to live with her parents in Richfield. It was there that I was born and lived for 9 or 10 months until Dad returned to the states and was discharged. It was also a great time to became pals with my Uncle Tim, who was thirteen and no doubt delighted to have a young toddler invade his turf!

No comments: